I love to cook. When I was growing up, nearly every Sunday afternoon I was in the kitchen putting together some kind of delectable treat that my family and I could enjoy. I learned, sometimes the hard way, that recipes are not only helpful, but sometimes essential for success. Sure, there are great chefs who can whip out something fantastic without even looking at a recipe. They may even be able to improvise and still get amazing results. But for a novice cook, like myself, following guidelines that someone else wrote down has oftentimes helped me to be more successful.   Law school, unlike cooking, really doesn’t have an official recipe for success. Every student has his or her own take on what makes a successful law student. There is, however, a particular ingredient of law school that I think is essential for both sanity and health and that is exercise.   Law school is one of the most mentally and physically taxing experiences. When I started law school as a 1L, exercise was not even on my list of things to do. I kept telling myself that I was too busy and too tired to go exert myself working out. Finally, after realizing that I was becoming a permanent fixture of the law library, I knew that I needed to get out of the law school and do something other than grocery shopping, laundry, or sleeping. Exercise became and “out” for me and to this day, it is one of the best ways that I have found to release all of the tension and stress that accumulates from school. Whether it’s shooting some hoops, getting on the elliptical machine for thirty minutes, doing yoga, taking a walk through the Arboretum, or playing ultimate Frisbee on a intramural team, physical recreation and exercise has been essential for my sanity and my health. So next time you find yourself stressed to the max about writing a memo, briefing a case, or reading the next fifty pages for tomorrow’s 8am class, take my advice and consider getting out and exercising. You'll be glad you did...