I think it is necessary to preface this article with the disclaimer that I have never written, read, nor really even thought about blogs. With that being said, I think I have come up with some “knowledge” to spread for the prospective law students of all ages. I will leave the question of whether this “knowledge” is valuable up to you, the reader, who is still reading this piece, which means I am doing alright at this blogging thing! Time and time again I am asked the question “What is one thing you know now that you wish somebody would have told you prior to beginning law school?” Without fail, every time I hear this question I am torn between providing some wise-guy response or actually providing a concrete and helpful answer. For purposes of my first blogging experience I am going to attempt the latter, although I would be more than willing to provide some humorous responses if you contact me personally. With this being said, I am going to let you all in on something that I wish I would have taken seriously as a prospective law student… law school semesters fly by and it seems like only a week separates the first day of class and that dreaded moment when you sit for the final exam. Now I know this is not ground-breaking advice and is probably something that you have heard numerous times by now in your quest for information from current and former law students; however, I cannot express how important it is to stay on top of your readings, outlines, and overall studies. There are numerous reasons why it is so important to stay on top of your studies but I think the most important and often-overlooked reason is the highly contagious, Mid-October plague, known as a lack of motivation. I can’t help but notice the lack of motivation I am personally feeling and in conversations with my colleagues, whether 1L’s, 2L’s, or 3L’s, I am not the only student who has caught the plague. The good news however, is that this plague is by no means fatal and can easily be overcome by any student whom has put in the hard work and stayed on top of their course work prior to getting the plague and losing all motivation. On the other hand, for the students who have yet to begin outlining, have neglected to introduce themselves to their professors, and have no idea what to take from the last two months of class, the plague can cause an amount of damage that quite possibly is insurmountable. Notice I said quite possibly insurmountable! I say this because I myself was the student during my first year of law school that decided I would “stick it to the man” and not outline, meet with my professors, or try to conceptualize the concepts taught in the first two months of my first year courses. Rather I decided the best method would be to spend my entire Thanksgiving break and every hour of the last two weeks between Thanksgiving break and finals outlining, reviewing, and scavenging for help from my colleagues who had put in the work continually all semester. Take it from me this method was stressful, not fun, very difficult, and made me not very pleasant to be around; but I am still hear to write this blog as a successful second year student so it can be done. I guess the main takeaway from my advice would be that as a beginning law student you have a huge decision to make: (A) be the student who spends time every day to adequately prepare for classes and conceptualize what you have learned; or (B) be the student who decides to wait until the last minute and cram for finals, hoping the professor is not going to laugh when he or she reads your exam and places you on the unsuccessful side of the bell curve. I guarantee the student who chooses (A) is going to have a much easier time and will be less affected by the mid-October plague. The student who chooses (B) is still going to make it out alive; however, he or she will be more stressed, disliked, and overall hard to be around. The takeaway… don’t become hard to be around, immunize yourself for the mid-October plague and start outlining early!