Going into law school, you don’t think you’re going to meet the people that will stay with you forever, friends, professors, even significant others or future spouses. Everyone who is in this legal education bubble with you plays their own role in this piece of your life. When it all comes to an end during the last few weeks of this journey, you realize you are going to miss the heck out of some of these amazing people. Although I am a 3L and this is the end of my 3L year, I am also a concurrent student. This means I have another year attached to my professional degree, while I finish my graduate school degree in Echohydrology Science and Management. Therefore, I will not be graduating with the class I entered law school with in 2013. I don’t regret enrolling in the dual degree program but I will admit, it is hard to see all of my friends getting ready to graduate, ready to take that next step in their professional lives. I wish I was there too. But what’s another year?
I am spending these last few weeks hanging out with my friends as much as possible. They will go back to their hometowns and start preparing and studying for the bar exam soon. And unlike after the summers before, they are not coming back. This is weird for me. These are the people who for the past three years have essentially gone through what I’ve gone through. We’ve been there for each other, through the ups and the downs. The hard work, the long nights, the tears. They are the ones that truly understand this experience as much as I do. You don’t really “get” law school unless you actually go through it. This I have learned when trying to explain to my gracious and patient non-law friends and family back home. It’s just a temporary world we have lived in together for three years and now it is time to move on.
I am so excited for them, for us, and for me. My friends get to finally do and become what they want to. They have worked so hard to get where they are at and so have I. I am excited for me. This is the last year of that next step into my new adventure. And I cannot wait. What’s one more year? It’s nothing compared to the number of years I will get to do what I want to do with my life because of what I have gotten from law school and graduate school here at the University of Idaho. And for that, I thank them. Thank you for the great education, the chance to prove myself, meet some of my favorite people, and most of all, thank you for the experience. IMG_2356