We have all heard the saying that, “the first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death, and the third year they bore you to death.” There is some truth to that, but it is not all true.

First year: Yes, professors scared us to death. I remember my heart pounded every time I got called on during class. I also remember studying thirteen to fourteen hours a day with few, if any breaks. Now, I am lucky if I get three to four hours a day of homework in. So, I can attest to being scared to death.

Second year: I was no longer scared and the anxiety seemed to go away. That being said, my second year study schedule remained the same. I studied thirteen to fourteen hours a day and held down three jobs. I was a Westlaw Student Representative, a Research Assistant, and a Student Ambassador. I can honestly say that I was worked to death during my second year.

I am now just starting my third year of law school and I am still waiting to be bored to death. When does that happen? Even though I do not spend thirteen to fourteen hours a day on homework, I have several jobs all focused on making me competitive for the job market. During the third year it is not just about focusing on keeping up with class work, but working hard to land a job after graduation. Plus, we also need to prepare for the bar and submit our bar application. So, I could probably keep waiting to be bored, however, I do not think that is going to happen.

I know that it will all be worth it in the end, in the meantime, being bored is not on my radar. So, there is some truth to, “the first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death, and the third year they bore you to death,” however, it is not totally true. Be ready to continue working hard throughout the third year.